Some Of The Haunted Places Experiencing Unexplained Happenings !
Guys Cliffe House Warwick
Guy's Cliffe has a long and varied history... From its humble beginnings as a secluded place of worship in the 5th century... The legends of Sir Guy of Warwick which secured its place in folklore... The establishment of a chapel in the 15th century by will of King Henry V... The Tudor period ownership as a timber framed house... Leading into its ownership and creation of the familiar Palladian Georgian style house by Samuel Greatheed, Member of Parliament for Coventry and also a St. Kitts and Nevis sugar plantation owner ... Its ownership by the Heber-Percy family, its use as a Red Cross Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital in the First World War and during the Second World War as a Boys Home by the Waifs and Strays Society... The steady and sad decline into the romantic partial ruin... Right up to the present day under its ownership by the Freemasons & ongoing preservation by the Friends of Guy's Cliffe... This old & historically significant property has yet many things to offer...
Tettenhall Towers, Wolverhampton, West Midlands
ettenhall Towers, a Grade II Listed building was originally built as a country house on the site of The Holly Bush Inn, by Thomas Pearson, on land purchased from the Foley family in the late 18th century. It is set in 26 acres and is located in Wood Road, Tettenhall. In 1853, Colonel Thomas Thorneycroft purchased the property. Over the years, the Colonel extended the house, adding the 'towers', which gave it its name, in 1866. The colonel was also a keen inventor; sanitation and ventilation being one of his obsessions. The house became noted for its elaborate system of ventilation, developed by the Colonel. This also extended to the sewers and he had at least twenty W C's installed, including one invented by himself. He also invented a device, which pumped foul air from the sewers, the gas being burned at the head of a pipe, some forty feet from the house. Most of the rooms were fitted with ventilating fans and there were a number of elaborate devices, again developed by the Colonel, for room and clothes heating. In 1943 the Towers were purchased by Tettenhall College
Armley Mills Industrial Museum, Leeds
Once the largest woollen mill in the world, today Armley Mills tells the story of Leeds' rich industrial heritage through the collections, exhibitions and galleries of Leeds Industrial Museum. A fulling mill: 1500s-1788 The earliest record mentioning Armley Mills dates from the middle of the sixteenth century, when local clothier Richard Booth leased 'Armley Millnes' from Henry Saville. The first description of the mills, dated 1707, refers to it as: 'That Fulling Mill in Armley... containing two wheels and four stocks... also the water corn mill and all the fulling mills... containing one wheel and two stocks.' By 1788 Armley had five waterwheels powering eighteen fulling stocks. Fulling is one of the final processes in cloth production. It involves pounding the cloth with large hammers in pits filled with a mixture of water, urine and 'fullers earth', causing the fibres to mat together or 'felt'. You can still see fulling hammers in the Mill today. The world’s largest woollen mill In 1788 Colonel Thomas Lloyd, a prosperous Leeds cloth merchant, bought Armley Mills. Lloyd re-built the mills, rather than running them himself, and leased the site to brothers Israel and John Burrows, who lived in two semi-detached houses above the Leeds and Liverpool canal. You can tour some of the Mill Manager’s house during your visit. Benjamin Gott In 1804 Benjamin Gott bought Armley Mills from Colonel Lloyd. Benjamin Gott was a major figure in the history of Leeds and the wool industry. He became Mayor of Leeds in 1799 and was also a patron of the Arts. Gott faced disaster in November 1805, when the mill was almost entirely destroyed by fire. He re-built the mill from fireproof materials, using brick and iron wherever possible and his version of the mill survives largely intact to this day. From waterwheels to steam power Armley Mills prospered under Gott's management, exporting its wares as far as North and South America, and the Far East. Gott became one of the largest employers in Britain, as well as one of the wealthiest. He died in 1840 and his sons John and William took over the business. They introduced the first steam engine to Armley Mills in 1850 to supplement the waterwheels, which continued operating into the 1860s. Leeds Industrial Museum arrives at Armley Mills At the end of the nineteenth century Armley Mills was occupied by several different tenants, but by 1907 the woollen clothing manufacturers Bentley and Tempest were the sole occupiers. One of the firm's founders, Steward Tempest, had begun his working life at Armley as a 'half timer' at the age of six in the 1840s. Like many other textile mills, Armley could not cope with the combination of the loss of markets as the British Empire split up, the increase in competition from abroad and the increasing use of man-made fibres. In the early 1970s the mill finally closed as a business and, in recognition of its historic importance, the site was bought by Leeds City Council, re-opening in 1982 as Leeds Industrial Museum.
Margam Castle, Port Talbot South Wales
This 19th Century Tudor Gothic Mansion was designed by the architect Thomas Hopper for Christopher Rice Mansel Talbot. The house was built in 1830 – 40 at a cost of £50,000 using sandstone from nearby Pyle quarry. Listed Grade I as a mansion of exceptional quality, the Castle has some spectacular features such as the vast stairhall and octagonal tower. One frequent visitor to Margam was Talbot’s cousin, Henry Fox Talbot of Lacock. A pioneer photographer, he succeeded in taking one of the earliest photographic views which clearly shows the corner of the south west façade. Until 1942, the Castle and estate remained in the ownership of the Talbot family when it was acquired by a local landowner, Sir David Evans Bevan, and in 1974 by the County Council, the present owners, when it was of ruinous state. A disastrous fire in 1977 gutted the interior. An ambitious restoration programme was embarked upon, much has been achieved and the programme continues. The outbuildings house the Visitor Centre and park administration and during the summer months, the Great Hallway is on display to the public.
Old Gresley Hall, Swadlincote, Derbyshire
Gresley Hall in Swadlincote is a haunted house with a terrifying history. Gresley Hall stands in the grounds of an old Priory and has been used for many purposes during its lifetime. With many ghost hunters returning here in their attempts to capture paranormal activity it seems that sooner or later there will be real evidence of the hauntings of this very spooky location. Dating back to the 16th Century, haunted Derbyshire's Gresley Old Hall was built from the remains of the old priory which stood on this site in the early 1100's until 1500's. During its life Gresley Hall has been used for numerous purposes which includes earthenware and clothing. The Old Hall has also been used as a farmhouse and in its time has homed many farming families.
St Catherines Former Hospital Doncaster, South Yorkshire
t Catherine's Hall stands majestically, yet also dark and foreboding overlooking the countryside on the outskirts of Doncaster, The house itself was originally built for the Banks Family, and head of the family was Leeds Lord Mayor George Banks. George made his money from cloth and was so wealthy St Catherine's Hall was built as a country holiday retreat, and eventually his settlement home for him and his only daughter Georgiana. Because Georgina was the last remaining Banks to carry on the name, George added a stipulation in his will that stated any husband she married would have to change his surname to Banks and refusal to comply would result in the forfeit of Georgiana's inheritance. She eventually married the Rev. Banks and were blessed with a very large family of 10 children, before they eventually relocated with their family to Scarborough and by the year 1887 both had sadly passed away. On July 18th, 1928 the mansion went up for auction and was sold complete with all its contents. Some of the original furniture is still in the house today! after being in the Banks family for 90 years the house is now to take on a very different role. It is because of its obscured view from the public it was considered a perfect location for the last one hundred and forty years as Doncaster's Mental Asylum. In 1933 the house became a schoolhouse for a short time. In 1845 a new mental hospital was opened and named as the St Catherine's Institution. In 1959 it changed its name to St Catheirne's Hospital. Quite apt really as its on the same site of a former isolation hospital and sanatorium, built between 1835 and 1843 The hospital also consisted of two children's wards, where infectious diseases were treated, a psychiatric unit, female chest unit and sanatorium, and male sanatorium, which was located slightly away from the other wards. The original kitchen is still in use, as is the nurses' building. In the earliest days as an isolation, or 'fever', hospital, the porters had to post a daily information bulletin on the perimeter fence to give details of patients' conditions and of any deaths. Doncaster went on to use St Catherine's Hospital over 100 years and in that time saw many deaths at the old building.
St Johns House Warwickshire
In the almost 900 years of its existence, St. John's House has had a wide and varied history. Many of its uses have been related directly to helping local people, particularly in the realms of health and education - a tradition which is continued today in its use as a free museum to educate the local community on the area's history. As a hospital In the mid 12th century, during the reign of Henry II, the land on which St. John's House stands was given to the establishment of the Hospital of St. John the Baptist. The hospital was brought into being by William de Beaumont, then Earl of Warwick. This hospital provided two purposes: To help the local poor and ill; and to provide casual overnight boarding and food to impoverished travelers such as pilgrims. The Hospital of St. John the Baptist was one of two such hospitals in the town of Warwick at the time. The other was the Hospital of St. Michael, founded with the sole purpose of providing help and respite to those in the parish suffering from leprosy. Of both hospitals, only the chapel building of St. Michael still stands. In 1291's taxatio, the Hospital was noted to own a dovecote worth 2 shillings. Additionally, the carucate of land owned by the Hospital was valued at 10 shilling per year. In 1337, protection was granted to the hospital's brethren and their attorneys for the collection of alms at churches. At this time it was suggested that some building renovation was necessary. It is known that in 1610 the site comprised four standing buildings, including a gatehouse topped with crenelations. The largest of the three other buildings has crosses at the roof's apex, suggesting its religious use as the site's chapel. At the time the hospital site also included a cemetery - remains have often been dug up during refurbishment or remodeling works on the House. The first recorded case was in the 1830s when work was being undertaken in the kitchen garden. In 1987, two workmen digging to the Coten End front of St. John's Court flats discovered two skulls. As a residence During the Dissolution of the Monasteries at the behest of Henry VIII, St. John's was granted to Anthony Stoughton, for services to the King. The land was later passed to his eldest son William by inheritance. Neither of the two lived in the house, but they leased it out to others such as Richard Townsende, a yeoman at Warwick. Eventually the land was inherited by the son of William Stoughton, Anthony Stoughton (junior), who built a house on the site. Of note is the fact that in the East Wing of the house there is a door lintel which bears the date 1626 and the initials A.S.. The house remained in the possession of the Stoughton family until 1960. As a school In 1791, the building was rented out for the first time by the Earl of Warwick for public use, with the intent of converting it into a school. The school, then known as St John's Academy, was founded by William T Fowler and was set up as a school for "Young Gentlemen" (as advertised on the hand-bill Throughout the life of the school, its cohorts changed frequently. In 1828, the daughters of William Fowler, then running the school, changed it to a school for girls. It was then reverted in 1845 under a Mr. Townsend. Then it returned to a girls' school in 1884, which continued until the very end of the 19th Century. In the later part of the school's life, as money became tighter, the school restricted itself to the lower part of the house, with upper rooms being leased out to local artists and other public figures, with their studios being open for public viewing. The school was declared bankrupt in 1900 and closed down. As a public service After a brief spell of private tenancy in the start of the 20th century, the house became property of the War Department, where it was used for the administration of the Home Counties and East Anglian Brigades. In 1959 the Lord Warwick declared sale of the Warwick Castle Estates, including the St. John's House. It was bought by Warwickshire County Council along with the Royal Regiment of Fusileers (Royal Warwickshire), who own it to this day. The building was then turned into a museum, with some of the premises leased to the Regiment. The museum was officially opened in 1960 by Bernard Montgomery, 1st Viscount Montgomery of Alamein. The Museum Now, the museum provides information about the history of the site, as well as Warwick and the surrounding area. Features of the museum include: A full-sized replica of a Victorian classroom, as it would have appeared during the educational period of St. John's House. The display includes benches and seating, charts and diagrams, as well as teaching tools such as abacuses and blackboards, all contemporary of the time. This display is designed to give people (young people in particular) an idea of what education would have been like in 19th century compared with now. The Museum currently runs activities based on this exhibit for schools. The second floor houses a museum dedicated to the history of the Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers. In 2011, the Museum Service established a themed outdoor space, St John's Brook Gardens, between St John's House Museum and St Nicholas' Park. This features woodcarving and information on natural history. The museum is free and open to the public. The museum is located half a mile from Market Square and Central Bus Station, and a short walk from Warwick railway station